Route 66 #1

Route 66 #1
Route 66 Museum

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Connecting the Rails with the Road

In the  Spring 2005 issue of Route 66 Magazine railroad photographer and enthusiast Louis R Saillard published an article called "Tracks by the Road". The article which is only three pages long and half dedicated to photos and other exhibits, is a brief personal narrative of the writers encounter with the last of the Super Chiefs on Route 66 near Winslow, AZ in 1971. 



The article was as fleeting as the encounter, and having quickly read the three pages I wanted more. Somehow I hoped the writer was going to mention that the article was and excerpt from and upcoming book on the subjects, but the article just ended quickly. Now I can't fault Route 66 Magazine for that since obviously we know by the title the magazines subject, and a long Super Chief article or series would be a capricious digression from the magazines subject matter. 

To say the least though Mr. Saillards article was like an restaurant appitizer put before a hungry man. It was good to have the small portion but it only made me hungry for more. It was at this point I realized that my own knowledge of the subject, and personal library gave me the ability to research the subject on my own, and pass on my knowledge in this blog. 

I would like to encourage my readers to share their knowledge, stories, and opinions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment